What age should they start?
This is more of an ethical question. A child can start training with weights at any age, but the real question is: should they? Providing they have a well-designed program and constant supervision by a qualified trainer they will achieve benefits from weight training. But before you do start your child with weights consider what they are trying to achieve.
- If it is to improve their sport, then you will find that concentrating more on the skills of the sport, rather than strength will usually provide faster improvements.
- If you are looking to build muscle and strength, then itâ€™s no good starting them with weights until they start producing testosterone. This is usually between 14-17 years.
Making Weight Training Safe for Kids
Make sure your child has a positive experience with exercise by following these guidelines:
- All equipment should be safe and inspected regularly for defects.
- Training equipment should be located in an uncrowded area.
- The child must have the emotional maturity to follow instructions relating to technique and safety.
- There must be adequate supervision of the child by an experienced and registered Trainer to ensure correct technique is used.
- Training should start with a thorough warm-up and finished with a thorough cool-down.
- No weight should be added to the exercise until the child can perform it with correct technique.
- Full range of motion must be performed on all exercises. If this cannot be done then the weight is too heavy.
- No maximum lifts or competitions should be attempted.
- Full body programs are advised. These should be done 2-3 times per week.
- The child should perform 2-3 sets of 10-15 repetitions.
- The weight should only be increased when the child can perform 15 repetitions with correct technique.
- Make It Fun!!!!!
Article Source: Raymond Kelly @ http://www.ArticleWorld.net
Ray has worked extensively in the health and fitness industry for over 15 years. He has a degree in Exercise Science and is a Level 2 Strength and Conditioning coach. http://www.free-online-health.com